Friday, October 12, 2007

Lunch in Rota

This afternoon Nuria invited Erin, Rachael and me out for lunch with some teachers from her school. We met them around 3:30 PM and somehow this "lunch" didn't end until 9:00 PM! And that is only because Rachael and I decided not to go out for more drinks and finally just went home.

First we ate at a restaurant in town which serves mostly seafood... not exactly my favourite food in the world. But I made an effort to try everything, and it wasn't too bad. We had chocos fritos (fried squid), mejillones (mussels), and pulpo a la gallega (Galician octopus), and I actually didn't mind any of it. The squid was almost completely flavourless, just a little chewy and the mussels just tasted like the lemon we put on it. The octopus was little bit strange, but it was mostly the sucker from the tentacle that was disturbing for me, although I ate it anyways!

After this long Spanish-style lunch, we went for drinks at a couple of different places in Rota, then went down to the beach to watch the sun set, which was really pretty. After all this, the other teachers wanted to go have a light supper, but we decided to pass and went home for the night.