Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Finally some excitement!

Working as a language assistant in Spain, there are both good days and bad days, just like any job. Today, however, was a great day! I only work two hours on Wednesdays to begin with, and since I don't start until 10:30, I didn't even have to get up too early. When I first got to school, Sonia (our French teacher) introduced me to the new French language assistant from Belgium. Since we seemed to be busy talking, the teacher that I was supposed to have class with suggested that we skip class today, which is always fine by me!

Pretty soon, two other girls arrived and joined in the conversation (all in Spanish of course!) They are both Spanish and are doing their teaching practicum (to teach English) at our school for the next month. It's nice to finally have some people around that are closer to my age, since almost everyone we meet here is either a student (ie. under 18) or a teacher (ie. over 30).

Then for the next hour, since we have a new work schedule, I got to go to a different English class... with actual students. It was a welcome change from all of the one-on-one classes I have with the teachers. It was also nice as there were only about 7 students in the class, and it took place in the English department, which means they are all sat in a circle around a small table instead of in desks. So it was a very informal class and I really got to talk to the students.

Finally, as the perfect end to my day, I decided to finally talk to Cristina (the school secretary) to see if she could help me get some work translating. Here in Rota, the tourist industry is huge, and as a result there are tons of flyers and other materials floating around that are written in English. Well, someone tried to translate them into English anyways, they just didn't really succeed. Even though I am a native speaker of English, there are a lot of things I would rather read in Spanish because the English makes no sense at all, or is completely impossible to understand. So I thought that I could make myself useful and maybe get some translation experience by helping to fix these translations. Luckily, Cristina had a contact at the ayuntamiento (town hall) who she spoke to today, and in the next few days they are supposed to call me for an interview!