Thursday, September 13, 2007

Day 2 in Madrid

I have to say that the more time I spend here Madrid, and Spain in general, the more I like it. I arrived here on Tuesday afternoon, with no hostel reserved (which had caused me to have a major panic attack before leaving Canada). However, I met some friendly Canadians in the airport. We all shared a taxi to downtown Madrid, where two of us split off to find a hostel. After a few hours of dragging my suitcase and carrying my backpack around, we finally managed to find a place that had room for us.

We then slept for 14 hours that night... and then last night I went out in true madrileƱo style with all 3 of them. Here in Madrid, you start dinner at about 9:30pm, although it´s quite a light meal with just a bunch tapas (appetizers) shared between a group of people. After tapas, which lasted a good couple of hours, we went to Plaza Santa Ana for some sangria on the house (my newfound friends knew one of the waiters). The party was just getting started at the next place we went to, which was a little Spanish pub. When that place closed at 3:00am, we started to head home... until we were convinced by a guy giving out cheap drink tickets to go to yet another bar. This time is was a dance club, where we stayed until 4:30am, when we finally headed back to the hostel! What a night!